Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
need advice.
charmallen posted:
my husband has been taking adderal for a little over a year. he started off with the regular release but he was feeling the ups and downs in between the doses. Then they started him on the sr or xr can remember which on. he does not feel the ups and sowns but in the am he is so lethargic it takes alot to get him up. If you would let him he would sleep all morning. and it is not because he is up late and not getting enough sleep. I was wondering if the dr could order a reg in the am and then a xr for the later morning. just wondering what people thought of that.

Gina Pera responded:
Hi there,

Yes indeed. Many people with ADHD find it incredibly hard to get up in the morning.

If we remember that ADHD can impair both motivation and initiation (not to mention restorative sleep), it makes perfect sense that pulling themselves out of sleep with no medication in the system can be a challenge.

There are many strategies for dealing with this. Some people set two times on their alarm clock -- one to wake up and take the medication the second about a half hour later to actually get up.

Yes, it would be possible to take a short-acting stimulant before or after the Adderall XR/SR, but then again you'd have to pay careful attention to timing (knowing when to start the next dose).

You might want to look into a more smoothly delivered, longer-acting stimulant such as Vyvanse or Concerta (two different classes of stimulant).

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.