Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Deplin and ADHD
KAT11211 posted:
Has anyone used Deplin for the treatment of ADHD in their children. My 7 year old was just diagnosed and I am having trouble finding information on this usage. He is not on any other medication at this point. I myself have ADD symptoms (never diagnosed as it was not known of compared to today) but just muddled through. Any tips or tricks for both of us at this point is greatly appreciated. We have just been recommended family therapy and the school has given a diagnosis of emotional disturbed. We have an IEP, co-teaching, counseling services we are taking advantage of at this point

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
Dear KAT

From what I understand Deplin is a B vitamin supplement (folate). It has been touted for the treatment of depresssion but I have never heard it mentioned for the treatment of ADHD. It is important that your son have a healthy lifestyle including eating good, nutriciious foods which includes those with B vitamins.He also needs to exercise each day and get plenty of sleep. All important for decreasing hyperactivity and improving attention. While family therapy can help you address certain behaviors it is also improtant to address your ADHD symptoms instrad of simply muddlign through. ADHD affects parenting skills and it has been shown that when moms have ADHD they have more difficulty and benefit less from parent traning courses if their ADHD is not treated. I would suggest that you find a mental health professsional in your area who is knowledgeable in treating ADHD in children and adults. It sounds like beahvior therapy would help at school (and should be offered as part of an emotionally disturbed diagnosis) but you need to be prepared to carry out the program at home as well. Medication may help both of you but will need to be part of a comprehensive treatment program.

Gina Pera replied to Patricia Quinn, MD's response:
Hi KAT,

A "ditto" here on Dr. Quinn's response on Deplin.

My understanding is that, due to genetic differences, some people have difficulty uptaking enough folate from food sources. B vitamins (as well as many other vitamins and minerals) help support brain and nervous-system function. There is a genetic test to determine this. Otherwise, it is not something to take on a whim. You don't want to get too much folate, either.

Dr. Quinn also makes a good point that medication may help both of you. You know how flight attendants recommending "putting on your own oxygen mask first"? That also applies to parents who themselves have ADHD. It's best to take care of your own ADHD challenges so that you can better help your child instead of "muddling through."

best,
Gina

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.