Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Deplin and ADHD
    KAT11211 posted:
    Has anyone used Deplin for the treatment of ADHD in their children. My 7 year old was just diagnosed and I am having trouble finding information on this usage. He is not on any other medication at this point. I myself have ADD symptoms (never diagnosed as it was not known of compared to today) but just muddled through. Any tips or tricks for both of us at this point is greatly appreciated. We have just been recommended family therapy and the school has given a diagnosis of emotional disturbed. We have an IEP, co-teaching, counseling services we are taking advantage of at this point
    Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
    Dear KAT

    From what I understand Deplin is a B vitamin supplement (folate). It has been touted for the treatment of depresssion but I have never heard it mentioned for the treatment of ADHD. It is important that your son have a healthy lifestyle including eating good, nutriciious foods which includes those with B vitamins.He also needs to exercise each day and get plenty of sleep. All important for decreasing hyperactivity and improving attention. While family therapy can help you address certain behaviors it is also improtant to address your ADHD symptoms instrad of simply muddlign through. ADHD affects parenting skills and it has been shown that when moms have ADHD they have more difficulty and benefit less from parent traning courses if their ADHD is not treated. I would suggest that you find a mental health professsional in your area who is knowledgeable in treating ADHD in children and adults. It sounds like beahvior therapy would help at school (and should be offered as part of an emotionally disturbed diagnosis) but you need to be prepared to carry out the program at home as well. Medication may help both of you but will need to be part of a comprehensive treatment program.
    Gina Pera replied to Patricia Quinn, MD's response:
    Hi KAT,

    A "ditto" here on Dr. Quinn's response on Deplin.

    My understanding is that, due to genetic differences, some people have difficulty uptaking enough folate from food sources. B vitamins (as well as many other vitamins and minerals) help support brain and nervous-system function. There is a genetic test to determine this. Otherwise, it is not something to take on a whim. You don't want to get too much folate, either.

    Dr. Quinn also makes a good point that medication may help both of you. You know how flight attendants recommending "putting on your own oxygen mask first"? That also applies to parents who themselves have ADHD. It's best to take care of your own ADHD challenges so that you can better help your child instead of "muddling through."


    Featuring Experts

    My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

    Helpful Tips

    Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
    Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 11 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.