Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Newly diagnosed and medicated 10 year old, PLZ HELP
SSappey posted:
My daughter is 10 and has been having issues in school, she went from a B student to C-F. Ugh!!! I am so stressed out and I feel like I talk to a wall at times. I have tried everything. Today we started medication. I PRAY that this will help her get into some better habits. She is unfocused, distant and forgetful. She has a science test on Friday and cant even tell me what the test is on. I am at my whits end and I am prayin that these meds help push her into the right direction. BTW I am a stay at home mom with my 8 month aold and my 10 yr old so I am trying to make this work with ALL my energy......

jinx_guru responded:
I do hope the meds will help her with the demands in school. It is not easy to parent children these days, more so if they have adhd and learning difficulties. It might help if you teach her to establish specific routines in studying or her homework and make sure her teacher knows about her condition so that you can both figure out a routine for her in school as well. You can probably put in a folder for reminders inside her bag and let the teacher place a reminder on it whenever there are important school activities that your child might forget. It will definitely help if parents can establish a good relationship with their child's teachers as well so that you can both find means of effectively teaching kids with adhd.
Lastly, you might want to consider transferring your daughter to a specialized school which caters to adhd kids. I'm not sure how much it costs in your area but if you think your daughter's school is not sufficient enough to cater to her needs, then maybe you should think about other alternatives as well.
These are schooling tips for parents with adhd that might interest you. For now, I do hope your child will have improvements as the days progress.

Gina Pera responded:
SSappey --

I'm wondering what other factors might have contributed to this precipitous drop in school performance.

You say you also have an eight-month old child. Do you think the baby's arrival contributed to your daughter's challenges?

I'm a little concerned about hopes for a medication to "push her in the right direction." If she has ADHD, it's very important that you understand her challenges so you can help her work through them. Medication can't do it all.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.