Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Ocd driving me nuts
evilbunny posted:
argh! My ocd is driving me nuts at the moment! I was wondering if anyone has ever had any luck in treating OCD, and if so, what did you do?

For me, taking Prozac took the edge off of the anxiety a little bit, but not completely. Also, over the years, I've been able to stop (or at least hide) mostly all of my "rituals".

The problem right now is not that I'm stuck doing rituals. Right now, I've got this awful "tingling" (not pyshical tingling, it's more like I'm just hyper aware) in my pointer finger. UGH! My finger "tingles" because I want to go around touching everything I see a certain number of times, but I don't do it (which is good...given in would only make my anxiety worse), so I'm stuck sitting here being hyper aware of my damn finger! It's hard to explain, but insanely frustrating!

Has anyone else with ocd had these strange "sensations" ontheir fingers, toes, whatever? I also get these "sensations" on my collar bone! Like I said, it's hard to explain...it's not an actual pyhsical sensation...it's more like my mind is just hyper aware of these certain body parts. It makes touching anything a frustrating mess

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
OCD can occur with ADHD and sometimes the treatment for ADHD can make the OCD symptoms worse. I would discuss your symptoms with your treating physician as there are other medications and other therapies for helping you with your OCD. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) has recently been shown to be quite effective. There are also some good books and workbooks on helping with symptoms.

Pat Quinn, MD

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.