Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
ADHD and school work.
busyIndianamom posted:
My son is 10 and in the 5th grade and is very intelligent but has not been showing that lately. To an outsider looking in he would appear to have a learning disability but I and his teacher know better. A and B grades are turning into C and D grades. He does not fully read and comprehend his work and rushes through everything. He is also not using free time at school to do his homework. He has now lost his iPod, Beats and FB, his most priced possessions. Anyone else experience this and have any suggestions?

momuv4girls responded:
Often times taking away items can back-fire and not help fix what is wrong here. Sounds like maybe this is the case ??

Has your son had complete educational testing done by his school or an outside source? Often times children who "look" like they have a learning disability, actually do.
You mention he has a hard time w/comprehension - - as his school work is getting more difficult and requires more reading, a deficit in this department needs to be addressed.

I would ask the school district to do an evaluation on your son based on his failing grades and his losing interest in school.

You want to "set" up your son to thrive and succeed - not to fail, and right now it sounds like he is giving up because school is too difficult and stressful, and at home he is losing too.

Along those lines.......here is a good, informative link for you to explore: http://helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_teaching_strategies.htm

I would talk with your son's teacher and principal and ask about having him tested asap.

Take care, and hang in there !!
-Kathleen

busyIndianamom replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you for the link, it did have some good tips. I will speak with his teacher and I am also going to talk to a good friend of mine who does the actually testing for LD children. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

shamaila1510 replied to momuv4girls's response:
am little worried here coz i m talking about my cousin who is 15 yrs old in 9th grade. but he cannot even write one sentence without a mistake.he is in Pakistan. where people don't really pay close attention to these kind of issues. i visited this time back home and just curious if he is suffering from the same adhd problem.he is not missbehaving kid. but he cannot sit still.its really hard to get him in to homework.i tried to help him in home work n he will keep wondering around. by the time u r telling him about the importance of studies n worries of his parents looks like he is understanding and aftera minute he will b distracted by a little thing n will forget about all the problems. any guidelines???????????????????/

busyIndianamom replied to shamaila1510's response:
What you describe sounds like adhd. it can'hurt to have him tested.

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
Dear Mom

Talk to your son's teacher right away and get her take on what is going on in school. I would also support getting testing done as soon as possible to rule out ADHD and/or LD. Taking things away from a child with these issues usually doesn't help. Motivating him often works better. In the meantime, there is a great book, Homework Made Simple, by Ann Dolin with lts of strategies to help "The Rusher" as she calls these students

See http://ectutoring.com/resources/books/homework-made-simple/

Pat Quinn, MD

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.