Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Contradicting Medication - ADHD medicine & Anxiety / Mood disorder medicines
An_242796 posted:
I feel my son is taking contradicting medications as well as too much medication. He takes Concerta because he is labeled ADHD; but when he was 6 we had him tested at the University Clinic (most reliable) and they did not find adhd. They symptoms showed up of anxiety and depression (BiPolar - family history) at that time. Mostly anxiety.
We did not medicate him till he was about 11 yrs old.
Next thing you know they are treating him for ADHD because he could not focus in school or home. Could those be symptoms of MMD?
Is it common to treat ADHD and Major Mood Disorders with contradicting medications?
I asked my pharmacist and he told me the extra 4 medications contradict the concerta?
He is also 13 now and hormonal. His moods are so unstable from minute to minute.
We are also utilizing outside counseling from another source than the clinic his psychiatrist is. This is where we are learning how some of this is just hormonal / behavioral and may not be ADHD?
I need expert advise on how to get to the point with his psychiatrist, she is wishy washy about them. Just wants to add more medicine to treat the Mood disorders.

momuv4girls responded:
It is not uncommon for children with mood disorders to have ADHD as a comorbid diagnosis. BUT, if your son truly does have a mood disorder it is not recommended to treat the ADHD with stimulant type medications, as this will aggravate the child's symptoms, make him more impulsive, angrier faster and you may never reach "mood stability" with an ADHD med onboard.

It is possible once your son has been stabilized for quite sometime to add in a small amount of ADHD meds cautiously and see if it helps his breakthrough ADHD symptoms (if he indeed has them once his mood is stable).

My daughter, who is now 11, had a mood disorder, and when she was at her most unstable point, she "looked" like she had bad ADHD. Once her mood became stable 99% of her ADHD symptoms went away.

It takes a very skilled, smart Child Psychiatrist to evaluate and diagnose children. If you are not happy with the current Psychiatrist, then I highly suggest you finding a new one to do a thorough evaluation on your son.
Also, check out this wonderful organization for children.
http://www.thebalancedmind.org/
They have been my lifeline since my daughters diagnosis, and have educated me!

Take care !!
-Kathleen

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.