Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Disability Questions
McChelle03 posted:
My daughter has recently been diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, PTSD, and a learning disability. I have been told by her in home therapist to apply for social security benefits for her. I've heard that getting benefits is a pain for adults but how bad is it for children? My daughter has been molested by her step-brother, physically, mentally, & verbally aabused by her step-mother & biological father. I don't want her put through the aggravation of having to repeat what has been done to her over & over again for some stranger dealing with social security. My husband has gone above & beyond for my daughter by adopting her and trying to provide her with a normal childhood that she had been missing out on before her biological father gave up his rights. I just don't want to put her through anymore pain. Is it worth it to file for disability or should I just forget it?

momuv4girls responded:
I am not sure what state you are located in, but I would go down to your local social security office (by yourself) and inquire about what you would need to provide (document wise) in order to apply for social security benefits.

I think it would be worth looking into and see if they will provide any assistance.

Here is a general link that you may find helpful.
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10026.html

Take care, and kuddos to you for taking such good care of your daughter !!!!!
-Kathleen

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.