Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Grandaughter and ADHD
TwilightGrandma posted:
My grandaughter is 2 1/2 years old. She does not sleep well at night, up several times a night, seems to be on the go all the time. She will watch a movie or cartoon. Some days she won't nap. She also will pitch temper fits. Her father was ADHD when he was in school. At that time the only thing available was Ritalin. Her mother did smoke during pregnancy. My daughter-in-law and I were thinking she may be ADHD. Is this even possible at her age and what can we do to help her?

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Grandma,

2.5 is too young to diagnose, but I think its appropriate to talk to her pedi about her behaviors.

Not sleeping at night is difficult. Does she have a good bedtime routine (bath, book and bed at a consistent time every night)??
Is her homelife stable?

This is an interesting read, that may be helpful:
http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/childrens_sleep_problems

Take care!!
-Kathleen

TwilightGrandma replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you Kathleen. From what I have read there isn't much they can do until at least age 4. Unfortunatelly, my son was ADHD but he is fine now.

She does have a set routine for bedtime and all is well at home. I keep her 3 days a week and she goes to daycare 2 days. I try to stay to her parents schedule of sleep, etc. It seems like this surfaced all of a sudden. We are also thinking she may need to cut back on napping in the afternoon. Her parents are going to talk to her pedi and see what she thinks. One thing I think is contributing to this is her intake of fruit juice. As you know they are full of sugar and she LOVES her juice. I am going to switch her to sugar free and see what happens.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.