Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Question for ADHD medication Intuniv
An_243281 posted:
In regard to medication, my son was taking Adderall, I would sprinkle in his yogurt, no problem, but it was creating tics that were hard to control, recently changed to Intuniv, which I think it working fairly well but is having a hard time taking the pills. Sometimes he swallows it whole, most of the time he chews it, which I have told him he can not do. I have tried putting it in yogurt, I even purchased a special cup that was supposed to work without success. Now every morning my son is panicky ( he is 5) at the thought of taking the medication. I am concerned that he chews the medication and what are the ramifications of chewin/biting Intuniv and how does it affect the efficacy of the medication?

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
Dear Mom

Intuniv shoudl definitely NOT be chewed. This can release all of the medication at once not only resulting in negative side effects (decrease in blood pressure, etc.) but it also eliminates the mechanism for making the medication last longer. Please discuss this immediately with your son's physician. As i see it you have two options. Teaching your sone how to swallow a pill (see below) or changing medications or trying the methylphenidate patch, Daytrana.

You could try teaching him to swallow a pill using something much smaller. I usuallly have kids practice without a pill first by taking a large amount of water and holding it in their cheeks. Next, they gulp and swallow all of the water at once. Be sure they keep their chin tucked and head forward (not throwing their head back is important as when they add a the pill it may touch the back of the throat). Do thid several times. Next, I have them put a small piece of pill, cracker, or tic-tac on their tongue and add lots of water as before (hold in cheeks, head forward, gulp and swallow, etc). To their amazement the pill or cracker will go down with the water! Practice this several times to build up confidence before trying with a larger pill or the real medication.

Pat Quinn, MD

MOMFS replied to Patricia Quinn, MD's response:
Thank you for your response. I did stop the Intuniv last Friday due to these concerns after speaking with his psychiatrist over the phone. We are now moving to the Daytrana patch with Clonidine for any possible tics, although he tends to chew that medications as well. Hopefully the patch will work for him. Thank you

madsd responded:
My son learned to swallow his intuniv by swallowing in a mouth full of jello. Eventually he was able to take with just water. Hope this helps. Your son could practice just with the jello until he's comfortable swallowing it without chewing first.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.