Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Vyvanse with Intuniv
An_243821 posted:
My 5 year old, 58 lb son has been on intuniv 4 mg for about 2 mos now and it seems that it isn't helping as much as it was in the beginning (actually now, it's as though he isn't on anything). Today his pediatrician prescribed Vyvanse 20mg every morning and the Intuniv 4 mg at night. Can anyone else tell me if their child is on this combination and the results/side effects? I am very concerned and really hope I'm not making a mistake. He was diagnosed with ADHD and was not able to focus at school on his work and was also being disruptive in class, then at home very irritable, and moody which is why this was diagnosed. Any advice is appreciated.

Gina Pera responded:
I hope other parents will weigh in with their experiences, but in the meantime, I can tell you I've heard of this combination being used commonly.

Of course you don't mention other factors in the child's life -- sources of stress, sleep habits, allergies, diet, etc. So it's hard to say if this is a good idea for your child in particular.

It boils down to your trust in the pediatrician.

I would recommend trying the medication the first time on the weekends, so you are able to see the effect.

good luck,
Gina

felicity34 replied to Gina Pera's response:
Thank you Gina. Currently my son has no allergies, he eats well and is at a good weight, he does have some trouble sleeping sometimes and as far as stress there really is none at home (he lives with both parents, and has an older sister and younger brother) and we try to keep a routine in the house to avoid stress. I will try the medication on the weekend like you suggested, again thank you for your advice.

Peter_Close responded:
My 11 year old son was getting headaches and seeing spots. The Pediatrician took him off both meds

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.