Skip to content
Medication Question
guygimpy posted:
My child (17 y/o) takes Methylphenidate (Concerta). However, the cost of the stuff is over $120. I have asked my insurance company if there is a different med that will do the same thing for less money. They tell me they can not suggest anything and I need to ask her doctor. I called the doctor and she wants me to call my insurance company and she can't or will not suggest another drug. So, any suggestions on how to deal with these people or how to find a similar drug myself and suggest it to the insurance company and the doctor.

Thanks for any help.

Annechen responded:
Concerta is available as a generic. Not sure if that's the $120 quoted to you, but if not, you might want to check that they are offering the generic. I have not had any trouble with it.

tigg75 responded:
My daughter and stepson are both on Concerta (generic), but their insurance pays for it. Concerta is a time release medication, so it is a little more expensive. They are both on the homework dose of Ritalin as well, which does the same thing as the Concerta but only last a couple hours. The Ritalin does the same thing as the Concerta, but it is not time released. However, Ritalin is considerably cheaper if you don't mind the extra dosing.

BeckyG12 responded:
You might want to try the supplement option from solandsam.com and see if it can work for your child. It costs much less than what you're paying.

Boyzmomee replied to BeckyG12's response:
And it's likely ineffective or we'd all be using it for our children.

BeckyG12 replied to Boyzmomee's response:
Don't be so quick to dismiss this option. I don't know if it would work for everybody, but there are plenty of people it works very well for (myself included). I would recommend at least giving it a try. It only only takes about a week to see if it works for you. Best of luck!

Boyzmomee replied to BeckyG12's response:
I have dismissed it after 20 years in the field.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.