Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ADHD with anger outbursts
tigg75 posted:
My daughter is 7 years old and has already been on several medications for ADHD and mood disorders. Most of the time, I am completely exasperated and don't know where to turn. No one in the family really understands her and that makes it so much harder. She has been Baker Acted once already and I am afraid if we don't get this under control soon, something bad may happen. Does anyone have any helpful advice or is anyone else going though this? Please don't tell me how awful I am for using meds, cause I have heard that enough. Even SHE doesn't know why she does things and is asking the doctors for more help

momuv4girls responded:
It is not uncommon to have a mood disorder and have comorbid conditions along with it.........like ADHD, ocd, ODD etc....

My daughter was dx at age 7 and it did take several med trials to get her feeling better and stable.

I joined the organization http://www.thebalancedmind.org/ (formerly CABF) right after my daughter was dx, and I can not tell you how supportive and informative the members are!!! I joined an online support group and have never felt alone again.

This journey can be difficult, scary and lonely, so please look into the organization, you won't be sorry you did!!

(((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))
-Kathleen

dchap13 responded:
I totally understand your position. I'am a grandmother, raising my two grandchildren, Ashley 8 yrs old and Kyle 6 yrs old. They have been diagnosed with ADHD. Yes it if very frustrating and Ashley has such terrible angry outbursts. We have tried a few meds, but I don't like them. They are also seeing a therapist and trying to figure out these angry issues and I am also taking a parenting class I am reading "The Incredible Years" it is a trouble-shooting guide for parents of children of ages 2-8 years old.
I try very hard to be calm during these temper tantrums (and that is hard). This is totally my opinion, but have also figured out that during these angry outbursts, the child has an issue and does not know how to deal with it and they can get angry and hit and yell but they don't understand that this is NOT handling this situation, they just get mad but that does not take care of the issue. When this happens, I try to help them figure out what is bothering them and when they yell, it only upsets people.
Please know that you are not the only one who feels this way it is a difficult time. This may sound silly, hold and love that sweet little girl of yours and let her know how special she is and together you both can work on this issue together!

Moniep62 responded:
My son is 6 years old and he too was having angry outburst, hitting, tearing up stuff, etc. I had an EEG done it was found that he was having generalized seizures. He will be going to a Pediatric Neurologist in the next few months to find the cause of them. This may be something to look into. His outburst usually started when he got angry and would escalate.

MsDyanne responded:
I am a single mother with a 9 year old son who is going through the same things you are. I know exactly where you are coming from on all aspects. I am currently unemployed do to the fact that I lost all my sitters (which were family members) because he was so out of control, I was the only one who by some greater power had the strength to get through this. He was at the point of it being an ALL day affair of being o.k. one minute and so angry the next. Between the holes in the walls and things being destroyed, I wondered if life would ever get semi normal ever again. He went as far as saying he wished he was dead on a daily basis which just tore me up. To hear your young child express that was nearly what put me over the edge. Like the other parent when his behavior (angry) started we went to see & saw a Pediatric Neurologist. Of course they prescribed meds which i was not happy about but found out the hard way the meds are needed! After a year seeing that doctor and changing doses of the meds or the meds themself, he referred us to a psychiatrist and a therapist. During this time the meds were continuing to change then the suicide episodes started till it esculated where he actually picked up a weapon & started to threaten to kill himself. In fear of his life I called 911 and he ended up being evaluated which lead to him being admitted to treatment facility. I think that had to have been the worst day ever for me and the following 7 days that he was there. BUT that was going on 4 months ago and since the last med change & still seeing the 2 docs I am seeing alot of improvement. Don't want to jinx myself or him but life is getting better. We have gone from one or two good days out of a week to one or two bad days a week. I havent received a daily phone call from the school principal in weeks, I kinda miss talking to him! lol Sorry this was so long but felt good to express my ordeal with others who are going through the same thing, I'm not alone! I didnt believe it would ever get better like I was told over and over again but thank goodness I was wrong. It has been several years (hint: he was kicked out of day care) but its looking like we have found the right track finally. I feel for you and if you can just hang in there, I truely believe now that it can get better. Not perfect but better is perfect enough!

An_244699 replied to MsDyanne's response:
This sounds just like my 7 yr old grandson right down to getting kicked out of daycare. Can you tell me the diagnosis and what meds they are using? We are getting counseling, he is on a med to lower aggression, and I've been through parenting classes. I have a really difficult time staying calm - he does such outrageous things that I don't even have time to think about being calm. I know this isn't helping the situation but I'm not very good at faking how I feel. Things are better than they were 3 years ago, immensely better than last year when I was being called almost daily by the school where he was in kindergarten. I don't know what is going to happen when he's a teenager as it is I can't keep him under control.

momuv4girls replied to An_244699's response:
Hi Grandma,

What medication is your gson on currently??

Does he see a Child Psychiatrist ?

That's great you've taken parenting classes, does he live w/you full time??

Thanks for answering my questions - I will try to be more helpful when you reply!
-Kathleen

GloWorm46 replied to momuv4girls's response:
He is currently on Tenex. He has seen a child psychiatrist for meds. Yes he and his brother live with me fulltime. I have third party custody.

Gloria

KimberlyMM responded:
I am not going to tell you that you are awful for using medications. I do not believe you are. I am in a similar situation, but different. My son is now 17.5 years old. And, if you think it is hard dealing with a 7 year old, 17 is worse. He is to the point where is is very violent. He is extremely argumentative. I can no longer even have a normal conversation with him. It hurts me every day. He is very abusive to me mentally. And, God forbid I tell him no! He has been violent many times, going back to when he was very young. We were told when he was little to restrain him. At that point our main objective was to keep him from hurting anyone or himself. I also had hoped that restraining him would teach him that he he could not act that way. Sometimes I blame myself. I feel as if I am a failure as a mother. Lately my husband and I have had to call 911, due to the violence. It has been horrible! I am so afraid that something horrible is going to happen, when this is going on! This last time, he kicked him dad in the head really hard, and punched him repeatedly leaving multiple bruises. His dad only tried restraining him. He has went overnight to juvenile hall twice.Both times they have dismissed the charges. I am glad that he did not get charges. Really, who wants their child to have that label, or that kind of life. But, I am living in fear. I never know what will set him off next. I am trying to get him help through therapist, psychiatrists, and blood work to determine if this may also be something chemical as well. I am not really comfortable talking with anyone about this. I am depressed, discouraged, and stressed to say the least. I would do anything to help my son. I love him so much, and only want a good life for him. I am looking for advice as well. If you figure anything out, please let me know.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.