Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Can vitamins cure ADHD?
BeckyG12 posted:
According to solandsam.com , vitamin supplementation can help relieve some symptoms of ADHD. Has anybody else tried this?

lma33167 responded:
Very much so if you ask me! We have come a long way over the last 2-3 years! Tried popular stimulant meds with side effect issues and a general "uneasiness".
Diet can play a huge part. Higher in protein, less sugar (obviously), we cut artificial food colors out, and would never stop this approach. Some it helps, and it takes time. After 2-3 months we realized the difference, especially if he had anything with artificial color.
Amino acid supplements. Neu'becalm - LOVE it. I take it too. Research and see what you think. adhdrelief.com.
We give our 10 yr old ADHD son a good fish oil. Nordic Naturals makes a good, Omega 3-6-9. Quality can matter.
Multi vitamins.
another good resource is 3 steps to conquering ADD/ADHD. You'll have to google it. Great advice on diet and vitamins. This will also lead you to Neu'becalm products.
ADD-care is another we use.

Gina Pera responded:
That website you refer to is mistaken: Vitamins do not make ADHD symptoms "vanish."

All humans need vitamins and minerals, preferably from food.

If your diet is deficient and you have ADHD, of course that can exacerbate your physical functioning (including your brain). So it's wise to get a good diet, exercise, and plenty of sleep.

But those things will not "cure" ADHD.

BeckyG12 replied to Gina Pera's response:
Thanks Gina.

I don't think they mean that vitamins cure ADHD, but that they relieve symptoms that seem like ADHD (but are actually due to lack of brain-nourishment). Would you agree with that?

Boyzmomee replied to Gina Pera's response:
Thank you.

awinterstale responded:
I don't anything can really cure, but there are several things that will help and aid in stability. Probably the most important is lifestyle and diet and then after that you have the option for vitamins and supplements. Supplements ar exactly that, they are to supplement something that is missing, and they can definitely help. One I have been taking that helps me focus and concentrate is SmartStart Brain. It doesn't have any stimulants, but I notice a positive effect on my work performance from it.

aj25358 replied to awinterstale's response:
actually there is no cure for ADHD but a child can grow out of some of there symptoms

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 7 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.