Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Episodes?
clint12345 posted:
My 10 year-old son is, for the most part, a regular boy. However, a couple of times a day he will have "episodes" where he will be extremely silly, roughhouse a lot, and be unresponsive/oblivious to directions from parents/teachers. These usually last about 1/2 an hour or so. The event triggering the end of an episode is usually him getting hurt somehow or being sent to his room for a time-out (even that doesn't always stop it). My wife and I can't seem to head these off before they happen and we definitely can't stop an episode once it has started. Does anyone have any ideas?
By the way, he is not diagnosed or medicated. We are trying to avoid that as much as possible if we can.

lma33167 responded:
My son is 10, adhd. Do you pay attention to what he is eating? I know we solved "upsets" and issues by eliminating artificial food colors from his diet. We use natural treatments for our son. Yes, we tried 2 popular stimulants that made me nervous and my son had a tough time.
Here's a few things we do that are natural, that have made a huge difference for him, and us!

Healthy diet - that's a given. Less starchy carbs, higher in protein, and the obvious good fruits and veggies.

NO artificial colors, and try for natural in general.

Neu-becalm - Good stuff. adhdrelief.com.

Fish oil - omega 3-6-9

multi vitamins

ADD-Care supplement. add-care.com.

I always try for the empathy and understanding response first. Difficult in the middle of an upset. Getting angry and upset myself usually makes it worse.
Help him recognize his behavior, after the issue. Have a plan for changing direction.
Idk, just thoughts.
Use caution before a diagnosis. Lots of labels, and once they are, there is usually an added "target" on them. Try some dietary and supplement treatments and see if that makes a difference. Research the supplements and see what you think.

lma33167 replied to lma33167's response:
I wanted to add, check out 3 steps to conquering ADD/ADHD. You'll need to google, but this was one of my first resources for treating my son naturally, and was absolutely wonderful.

Gina Pera responded:
Hi Clint,

Do these "episodes" happen at the end of the day, after your son has been in school all day? If so, it could be, he is reaching the end of his cognitive rope and simply cannot "behave" any longer. This is common among people with ADHD (though of course I am not suggesting that your child has ADHD; there is far too little information here to even hazard a guess).

I understand your wanting to avoid medication; it's seldom the first step for most parents of kids with ADHD. But neither do you want to avoid the impact that these repeated episodes are having on him or on your relationship with him.

I would encourage you to examine all aspects of his environment -- is he getting a good breakfast and lunch, sufficient exercise throughout the day, and sleep; is is possible he has some food allergies; is there tension in the home he could be reaction to, etc.

After you exhaust those avenues, I would seriously consider an evaluation with a qualified professional. You don't want to let these counterproductive patterns continue.

good luck,
g

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.