Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Treating my ADHD and depression. Am I on the wrong meds?
estralia posted:
Can anyone shed some light on questions I have about my treatment. I am 42 and was taking adderall for 2 years with few side effects and general success. 1 1/2 yr ago I had to leave a 5 year relationship and move into a different house. I became depressed was getting by at first but now I feel debilitated. My Dr prescribed prozac and then Lexapro for my depression but neither has mad any difference. Adderall became unavailable so I have been taking ritalin. Either ritalin doesn't work for me or my depression is taking me over. I feel hopeless to feel like I used to. Nothing is working.
I have been reading and am considering why adderall worked better and why the anti depressants do not help. I am considering asking my doctor to try a selective serontonin norepenephrine reuptake inhibitor. Could I be on the right track with this? I have no structure in my home right now and while I know I need to get my environment working in my favor I have been so depressed that I just can't climb out of this hole. Which seems to depress me more. I am a single mom of two and I am the only one who can fix my "unfriendly home". Being depressed is one thing but never being able to find anything in this overwhelming mess is making it all unbearable. The two anti- depressants I have been on only addressed serontonin which led me to think maybe my norepenephrine level needs addressed too. I would appreciate any insight. I live in a small town and the doctors here try but do not specialize in ADD or ADHD. I want to understand more about what works for me individually. Right now treating my depression is my priority.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.