Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
low confidence at work
ROXYROMERO posted:
many times i feel super bad because at my job people has to tell me the same things two times because my ADD. Im afraid to speak out at meetings. Do you feel the same? What can i do to feel more secure at my job?

rrom828 responded:
I have the same problem. I have learned to ALWAYS write things down. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop me from having to ask the same question several times or remembering the details of what is going on. It's very hard to not get down on yourself. But you must find small victories!

Gina Pera responded:
HI Roxy,

You don't mention if you are taking medication or what else you are doing to optimize your brain function.

The best way to feel more secure in your job is to give your brain all the support it needs.

If you're already taking medication, could your routine be improved upon? Perhaps the medication is wearing off in the afternoon, for example?

Are you exercising? Studies show that getting exercise first thing in the morning improves brain function throughout the day.

How about a good breakfast? Are you eating a healthy breakfast that contains good protein?

Once you optimize the physical strategies like these, you can also work on improving other strategies. For example, you might ask co-workers to send important instructions via e-mail. That way you can be sure to get all the details.

I hope this helps.
Gina

maypoledancer responded:
At my current job I have almost no supervision whatsoever so this hasn't been too big an issue for me. However, at my last job, I would *always* write everything down that my boss said when we spoke, otherwise I would forget. Of course, the only downside is that sometimes while she was writing, I would miss other things she was saying. Heck, sometimes I'd drift out of the conversation when I wasn't trying to do something else -- just for a few seconds, but sometimes enough to miss important information. So I definitely understand where you're at!

filmbot responded:
Habitually carry a note pad, get good at making notes. Your voice counts.

Aspenita replied to filmbot's response:
This is really a great topic for me today. I tend to feel dumb when I have to ask people to repeat things, but this validates that I'm not.
I try to write things down, but sometimes I can't write fast enough. Does anyone have any tips for writing down what people are saying affectively?

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.