Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Executive Function & ADHD
butterflygarden posted:
Hi!

I am in the process of getting my 14-year-old son tested for ADHD. His psychologist has mentioned executive function a couple of times, and I wanted to ask how this is related to ADHD, if at all?

Butterfly

Gina Pera responded:
That is a good question, and not so easy to answer.

In many ways, ADHD and Executive Function Disorder are the same thing.

People with ADHD have trouble with the so-called Executive Functions, which include organizing, prioritizing, regulating mood and motivation, and so forth.

You could call Executive Functions a theoretical construct for understanding these behaviors.

Dr. Thomas E. Brown, a prominent ADHD expert, writes about EF here:

http://www.drthomasebrown.com/brown_model/index.html

The term is becoming more popular, perhaps because some people are less threatened by it "Executive Function" than "ADHD."

butterflygarden replied to Gina Pera's response:
Thanks for your reply, Gina!

In your research, have you come across any standards of how long it takes to get a diagnosis? He had his final evaluation appointment last Thursday, and I still haven't heard anything from the doc.

I am guessing there probably isn't a good answer and I should just call the doc.

Butterfly

Gina Pera replied to butterflygarden's response:
Hi there,

I'm so sorry to be late in responding. I received no notification that a response was needed here.

I hope that by now you have an answer from the psychologist. The time from evaluation to diagnosis varies with each clinician. It's something they should explain at the onset, though. And if they don't, you should ask.

Remember, YOU are the customer here.

best,

Gina Pera, author
Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.