Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Alternative to Adderall?
An_245082 posted:
I started taking Adderall after a head injury about 7 years ago. I have difficulty remembering details, tasks, important work conversations. Recently, it has been impossible to get the brand name Adderall medication within 50 miles of a drug store. I have had to get the generic and it does not work the same. I have palpitations and it is not as effective. Is there an alternative medication that works as well as Adderall?

Gina Pera responded:
Hi there,

Yes, you're not alone. Shortages of the medications that treat have been a problem for many people in the last year or so.

You can try a few things.

Does your medical plan offers 90-day mail-order pharmacy benefit? That might offer a more reliable supply than possible with local drug stores, which stock only small supplies of these medications.

Many people who find that Adderall works for them find that Vyvanse works well, too. It's not exactly the same formulation, and it's definitely not the same delivery system. So, Vyvanse might not work as well for you. But it's worth trying.

For more information on generics and ADHD meds, you can read here: http://tinyurl.com/7fk9f9r

I hope this helps.

Good luck,
g

Gina Pera replied to Gina Pera's response:
Correction. The first paragraph above should read, "Shortages of the medications that treat ADHD have been a problem for many people in the last year or so."

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.