Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
switiching doctors
scotttt1970 posted:
About 6 years ago after several tests I was diagnosed with adult adhd and was prescibed adderol. I stopped going to that doctor becuase of insurance issues, and stopped taking my meds. My question is now that I have insurance again, and am going to go to a different doctor am I going to have to be rediagnosed in order to get back on my meds? The reason I ask is because the adderol worked really good for me. Before I was diagnosed with adhd they thought I might have been bipolar and gave me some meds that I had a really bad reaction to. Thanks for your time
Gina Pera responded:
Hi Scott,

The answer is: It depends.

Some physicians don't like taking another physician's opinion about the diagnosis of ADHD. Especially if that first physician is not a specialist.

If your first physician kept good notes, though, including remarking on the fact that the Adderall worked well for you, that might be sufficient for the new doctor.

I would encourage you to find a well-recommended psychiatrist who has expertise in ADHD but also has good knowledge in general psychiatry. Then ask that psychiatrist what will be required for your treatment. At the least, it will be important to have information from your medical and clinical history.

I hope this helps,
Gina Pera
scotttt1970 replied to Gina Pera's response:
Yes this does help thanks. I guess if my next doctor doesnt work out I will just keep switching doctors until I get the meds that work best for me. I really went through it when getting diagnosed. They tried two different types of meds which made me feel really weird. The adderall was the only thing that actually worked for me. Thanks for your time
Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
I agree with Gina here. If the first doctor keep good notes on your diagnosis and treatment, I would ask him to forward them on to the new doctor. That being said, however, it's been a while since you have been treated and I'm sure that your new physician will want to evaluate what is going on in your life at this time. Be sure to target specific symptoms and problems and then try adderall to see if it helps address these issues. I would not expect the new physician to just go ahead and prescribe based on your previous records and history.
Find someone who specializes in ADHD in adults in your community and who can work with you. Schedule and appointment even if you have to wait awhile. You'll be glad you took the time. You deserve the best possible care.

Dr. Quinn

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Very simple..
I am almost thirty and still struggling every day.. In my line of work Life and safety are at risk when I zone out. Recently, I have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.