Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Getting a diagnosis?
    maypoledancer posted:
    Like others I've seen on here, I too am a 28 year old woman who is undiagnosed but almost certain I have ADHD. I first started suspecting a few years ago when I read a book of my mother's about the brain and it included a section on ADD that I related to very strongly. Since then, I've read practically everything on the internet about it. The more I read, the more I feel like I finally *understand* the root of many of the problems I've had in life. No one in my family is diagnosed with it but my parents were in school before it was a popular diagnosis.

    I guess my question is this: what do I do to go about getting a diagnosis? Partially I'm a little bit worried because I mentioned it to my last PCP and he basically told me I didn't have it and was paranoid for thinking so (not in those words, but he made me feel like a ... psychological hypochondriac? Is that a thing?).

    I live in a somewhat rural area and I've checked directories both for ADD specialistics (none less than 3.5 hours away), and general psychologists in the area, one or two of which list ADD as a specialty. But one of them doesn't seem like he handles it much at all, and the other, a woman, maybe deals with it a little more but only in children.

    So I'm wondering: is it better to travel to see a specialist or to stay in the area with someone who doesn't have as much experience with it? Or is there a third option? I know there's a lot of online counseling stuff popping up? I would prefer to steer clear of this, but can it be legit?

    I'm also wondering about the issue of medication. The main reason for me to consider a diagnosis would be because this would enable me to get a prescription, but I don't like taking pharmaceuticals of any kind unless absolutely necessary, so I'm wondering if you think it's truly worth it for me to even get the diagnosis? Otherwise it'll just be trying to manage it on my own anyway, right? Or am I totally off base here?

    Just a little bit confused and I'd like to hear from some people who've dealt with this before I spend the time and money going to a specialist for a diagnosis.

    Featuring Experts

    My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

    Helpful Tips

    Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
    Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 11 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.