Skip to content
Is it really ADHD?
hanelleC posted:
My son is 8 yrs old and in second grade. He was diagnosed with ADHD about 5 months ago. After trying a few different meds we have settled on an 8 hour pill of 15 mg adderall every morning. Since taking this medication his teachers have said he has made rapid progress in paying attention and getting his work done. He has never been a very social child and when he does interact with other children it is usually through wrestling and violence. He has already had two referrals and is facing suspension if another physical altercation arrises. He is in counseling and sees a sychiatrist (spelling) very frequently. He is also in a group counceling with peers his age and last night was the third week of the program and he refused to get out of the car. He has always been anti social but it seems now it has gotten a lot worse! He would rather sit in his room by himself and he takes a lot of his frustration out on his younger brother. Everything makes him unhappy and there is no way of making him happy. If he gets something he has wanted his happiness last maybe 10 minutes and then he slips back into an I dont care attitude anymore! Am I missing anything? There is a wide variety of mood disorders in his family history on his fathers side, from bi-polar, suicide and schitzophrenia......I am at a loss on what to do!
Boyzmomee responded:
Yes. One can have ADHD and another co-exhisting condition.

Does the psychiatrist know about your family history?

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.