Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
seeking information
ring_of_fire posted:
Hello im just wondering if anyone has any information on "ring of fire" ADHD? I really dont understand that I would greatly appreciate that litrature. My son is 10

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Here is information from an article about types of ADHD :

Type 6 -- The Ring of Fire . Cross between ADHD and bipolar disorder; characterized by moodiness, aggressiveness, and anger; Anticonvulsants or newer antipsychotic medications tend to work better than stimulants.

Has your son been diagnosed by a physician? What course of treatment are you following?

Haylen

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
The "ring of fire" is one of the types of ADHD that has been identified on SPECT (single positron emission computerized tomography - a type of brain scan) by Dr. Daniel Amen at his clinics www.amenclinics.com . I would refer you to his website and work for a more in-depth discussion. Basically, however, this type is usually treated more like bipolar disorder with medications other than stimulants

Pat Quinn, MD

Mathew59 replied to Patricia Quinn, MD's response:
Hello Dr. Quinn,

I took Dr. Amen's brain scan and discovered at the age of 46 that I either had a congenital brain injury OR a brain injury as a baby. I've been taking methelphenidate and lamotrigine (off for 4 months) to remedy illness which has been diagnosed as ADHD Bipolar. I've been off the medication for about 4 months now and find myself with the following symptoms: brain fog, mental lethargy, physically tired and accompanying depression. I exercise daily (6 days a week) and sometimes the swimming gets me feeling good. Nonetheless, I've found my physical symtoms transcending everything I do as a 50 something year old man. Sometimes I feel like I'm 75! Please let me know if you have any recomendations. I'm ordering Vitamin D, TSH, Hemoglobin, B-12 and Folic acid tests. I appreciate any counsel you counsel you may have to offer.. Mathew

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

love @business@home@marriage@inter caste@vashikaran@problem solution baba ji +91-9815934087
@india best astrologer +91-9815934087 1. Business related problems.2. Husband and wife relationship.3. Be free from enemy / 2nd wife 4. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.