Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Adult AD/HD Please Help!
    An_245562 posted:
    I am 25 years old and i have AD/HD, primarily inattentive. Ironically my husband is 25 and has AD/HD, primarily hyperactive. The difference is my AD/HD is more controlled because I am on medication. He, however is not. He does not think medication will help him and thinks that only "junkies" or drug addicts take pills. He is extremely impulsive and often lashes out for not reason, then 5 minutes later he is all happy like nothing happened, but i am still angry about it! He self-medicates with marijuana, which by the way he believes is perfectly fine and that he is not an addict. It's a very expensive habit, and when he doesn't have it I don't even want to be around him, he is practically psychotic without it.
    So my question is, what should I do, and how can I convince him to seek the proper treatment for his AD/HD?
    Gina Pera responded:
    Hi there,

    Unfortunately, yours is a scenario I hear about in abundance.

    Marijuana is a bad idea for people with ADHD. It helps them to deal with the often-attendant anxiety (so they think it's great!) but it also further diminishes their working memory (but they don't care because they have less anxiety!).

    Moreover, they can develop addictions. Never a good idea for brain function.

    As far as convincing him to seek proper treatment, that is a complex issue. It starts with taking care of yourself and drawing boundaries, refusing to cover or compensate for him. Of course, this can often create more anger and alienation in the partner with untreated ADHD, and you have to be ready to deal with that.

    There are more subtle ways of "getting through" a partner's denial about the effect untreated ADHD is having on his/her life and your relationship. You need to do just as you're doing -- finding your voice on this issue and seeking validation. Perhaps a support group would help you to firm your resolve.

    Also, it's important to understand the nature of "denial" among some people with ADHD. It can be just not psychological but physiological -- that is, springing from the ADHD symptoms themselves. The more you understand this, the better you'll be able to find ways of reaching through.

    If you can't find a support group near you, I encourage you to read the blog that I write for the non-profit devoted to ADHD: CHADD.

    Good luck!

    Gina Pera, author
    Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?

    Featuring Experts

    My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

    Helpful Tips

    Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
    Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 11 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.