Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
New Dx
tuxedo100 posted:
Good evening. I was recently diagnosis with ADD 3days ago. It was a relief. Like many of us with the diagnosis, somthing has always been not quite right, and professional school was extremely difficult.

I am just starting medication, but I know there is more to this diagnosis then just taking medication. I have to reorganize my life and daily schedule. The task already seems overwhelming. Does any one have any suggestions about how to do this or any websites or articles with any suggestions?

Thanks!

Gina Pera responded:
Congratulations, tuxedo100.

Actually, there is more to taking medication than just taking medication.

It's extremely important that there be a method to the prescribing process. And sometimes physicians don't follow a method.

They will start a patient with their "favorite" medication (there should be no favorites; some individuals respond to one type better than another, and there is no way of knowing this at the front end).

Or, they will start at an "average" dose. Again, there are no averages. There are only individuals. And if you are started at too high a dose, you will never know if that is the correct medication for you.

So, I would really encourage you to focus on getting the medication right, right now, before working on other issues. That requires you to target your symptoms -- actually write a list -- so that you have something to measure against.

The entire process is too involved to repeat here, but I do include a few chapters on optimizing medication in my book.

Best of luck,
Gina Pera, author
Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.