Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Desperate
MizzouMama2Two posted:
Hello all,
I'm hoping I can find some help here. I am a walking billboard for adult a.d.d.; or so I believe. Problem is, I live in a small city/big town community where there are a lot of pill/meth heads that ruin everything for everyone. I cannot find anyone that tests for adult A.D.D. except one psychiatrist that charges $200/hour with a 2 hour minumum initial consult that does not take insurance. I'm freaking out b/c the lack of focus is causing me to struggle with my job. I've tried everything I know to do on my own without meds, but I cannot afford to lose this job. Does anyone have any advice? I'm desperate and near tears every night when I lay my head down to sleep (which usually takes about 2 hours to finally fall asleep) lol...

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
First, let me say that $400 (for a 2 hour appointment) is extremely reasonable for an ADHD evaluation. I would contact the psychiatrist and see if he will allow you to pay $25 (or whatever you can afford) a week for his services. This is a small price to pay for keeping your job and improving your life and sleep! Even if he doesn't accept insurance, you can file a claim with your insurance company yourself if you have mental health coverage.

If that is not a possibility, try contacting a community callege or university in your area. Ask to speak with someone at the Students with Disaabilities Office or Special Student Services and inquire as to where they sent the students that they suspect have ADHD. Hopefully, there is someone else in the community (probably a family medicine practitioner) that sees children and adults with ADHD that can make the diagnosis in an uncomplicated case and accepts your insurance.

You deserve the help. Please consider this a priority and get the help you need. You'll be glad you did!

Pat Quinn, MD

cornbreadkiller replied to Patricia Quinn, MD's response:
Everyone always wants to say "small price to pay" but this is the very reason alot of people don't get healthcare they need because they can't afford it. Just because of legalities people can't get any help. It's usually the ones stuck in the middle like me who can't get the help because we make too much to get help but just one more dollar here and there is killing us and making life harder and harder. I am telling truth here not singing the blues. $400...small price to pay...maybe Dr. Quinn needs to come live in the real working mans world...just saying...and do'nt chime in on priorities

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Very simple..
I am almost thirty and still struggling every day.. In my line of work Life and safety are at risk when I zone out. Recently, I have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.