Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dr. Quinn - Adult ADHD
ddnos posted:
Dear Dr. Quinn,

Can a person develop ADHD (or ADD) as an adult? I know that an adult can have ADHD, but can it be developed as an adult though never having it as a child?

Thank you
Debbie

ddnos responded:
Is there anyone who can answer this question for me, please? Thank you
Debbie

cornbreadkiller responded:
You more than likely had it all along but it may have not have effeted you or weren't aware of the effects. You may be, as you have gotten older, become more aware because of stress levels or lifes activities.

ddnos replied to cornbreadkiller's response:
Thank you, though that didn't exactly answer my question. My question was, can an adult develop ADHD as an adult? Not, did they have it already as a child but undiagnosed, but can one have and be diagnosed with ADHD as an adult and truly as an adult?

I totally hear what you are saying, but would be interested to know the answer to the question I am posing.

Thanks!

Debbie

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
Debbie

I can answer that question for you with a simply "no." There is no such things as adult onset ADHD. If you have not had the symptoms prior to adulthood you do NOT have ADHD. As someone else replied, you can have symptoms early on but through support and coping strategies they may not have affected your functioning but the symptoms were there.

That being said, other disorders may cause some of the same problems as ADHD and they CAN begin in adulthood. For many women, menopause may produce cognitive dysfunction that results in difficulty with memory and thinking. Depression and insomnia may cause problems with attention and concentration, etc.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Quinn

ddnos replied to Patricia Quinn, MD's response:
Dr. Quinn,

Thank you so much for your explanation; that helps a lot! I appreciate your time and knowledge!

Debbie

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

ADHD - Healing the Myth
Hi, This is a great video about the cause and natural solutions for ADHD that some very wise doctors are tuned into. You can view at ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.