Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dr. Quinn / Dr. Perra / Others Advice Please
Anon_76984 posted:
I'm trying to assist a very young adult with severe ADHD. The person is very intelligent and works part time, but has problems with executive functioning. There are no organizational skills for timing appointments, paying bills, etc. I want desperately to help this person to be able to be independant and live on their own.
I'm old enough to be the parent but don't want to portray that image. Please respond with suggestions to approach and help this person to live on their own away from their family. The person wants help and the family wants me to help.

Thanks!

GinaPera responded:
HI there,

How kind of you to want to reach out to this person.

When you say "very young" adult, I assume you mean 18-25 or so.

To best help this person, you can start by educating yourself on ADHD basics. Once you are aware of the nature of ADHD and its recommended treatment strategies, you can confidently share them with this person. Too often, people want to tell these adults with ADHD "what to do" without fully understanding their challenges.

For example, it's typically not just a matter of lacking "organizational skills" but more overarching challenges with untreated ADHD symptoms, which are brain-based.

There is much good information here at WebMD ADHD.

Good luck,
Gina Pera

Raphael1234 replied to GinaPera's response:
Dr. Pera,

Thanks so much for responding. The person that I was to be working with has decided they are not ready to move on at this point. I'm very dissapointed as I was really looking forward to helping. Apparently, this was not meant to be at this time. I will continue to research the subject using Web MD should I get the chance to help this person in the future.

GinaPera replied to Raphael1234's response:
Hi there,

Just to let you know, I'm not "Dr." Pera.

Dr. Patricia Quinn is the medical expert here.

ADHD is a very complex topic, and it does take a bit of study to understand how best to help someone help themselves.

One of the biggest obstacles is the tendency of some people with ADHD to be "in denial" of their symptoms or how to mitigate them. This "denial" can be both psychological (seeing the diagnosis as a "label" or judgment that they are inferior, flawed, etc.) and physiological (that is, it springs from the ADHD symptoms themselves). In other words, the person might truly not be connecting cause and effect.

best,
g

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 27 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.