Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Misdiagnosed with ADD
LogicSense posted:
I am 31 years old and I was diagnosed with ADD around 3 years ago. I was prescribed Adderall, The dosage was raised twice, where it topped off at 105mg daily.
I recently received a thorough examination from a more qualified doctor. I had dysautonomia, which is a deregulation of the autonomic nervous system. As a result, I had developed a nystgamus in my left eye. The nystagmus had been causing me to become irritable when I tried to focus on something. Also, the Adderral had been inhibiting my liver function and I developed severe inflammation from an infection. Luckily, I found this doctor (who I won't name, so that this does not seem promotional). But let me ask, what does the diagnosis of ADD really tell a doctor or patient? That I have deficient attention? Did that pinpoint the cause? No. Without searching for a cause, treatment is a guessing game. I'm glad I didn't have more adverse side-effects and that I found the doctor who fixed both problems without using narcotics.

GinaPera responded:
Taking 105 mg Adderall is an extremely high dosage.

I encourage you to learn more about ADHD neurophysiology and treatment so you can be more pro-active in working with a more-informed physician.

Gina Pera

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.