Skip to content
ADD/ADHD Addiction Medication Concerns
cevangelin posted:
I'm sure someone has already discussed this and answered it, but I'm new here!

My husband has literally been using substances to self "treat" his ADD and LD for 17 years! His family of origin for several generations has a history of addiction and heavy alcoholism. He used alcohol, pot, and cocaine regularly, and used every other drug on the market recreationally.

He entered substance abuse recovery in his 20's, and has been "clean" and sober for a number of years. He relapsed 2 years ago, but has been very straight for 2 years now.

He took Ritalin very briefly as a teen and never took it regularly. He has been virtually untreated his entire adult life.

I am VERY concerned that he needs med's, but he WILL NOT take them because they make him "feel like he used". They make him eupohoric and he HATES feeling that way. He gets anxiety attacks and throws up and feels terrible. Like he "used".

Any suggestions! Please help!

Take the Poll

Substance Abuse
  • Yes, myself.
  • Yes, my child.
  • Yes, my spouse.
  • Yes, my child and spouse.
  • No, no substance abuse history.
vote
View Poll Results

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.