Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Can I overcome ADHD?
out_sider posted:
I have started a career job I really like working, but I have a difficult time out in the field, and in life. I have difficulty paying attention when people are talking to me, forget important details and dates, act before I think, unintentionally inturrupt people when they are talking, diffuculty applying skills and actions from training to field work, often struggle with employer/employee relationships, no matter how hard I practice and try to be professional it's still poor in many areas, social relationships, and I don't do well with talking with people. I have to quit the career job or the company will let me go.

According to my psychiatrist, my problems are more related to mood issues. I do have major depressive disorder, which does affect me too. will i ever be able to work and keep a career job?

out_sider responded:
well?... do i even make sense to anybody?

AneKo responded:
Sounds all too familiar to me; Had been let go out of dozen career choices or so; I definitely have ADD, bipolar, now depression; There is hope: trying hypnosis, biofeedback, cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy, relaxation therapy, NLP, and commitment therapy. Most of my life I had been highly functional, now at 40 years old it is catching up with me. Also consider possible mild-high function Asperger's syndrome and anxiety disorder. Start working on yourself, keep yourself calm, the best you can while getting diagnosed & evaluated by a more helpful psychiatrist, then seek out a therapist, (not a psychiatrist), based on conditions you have pick a therapist who would work with more interactive therapies, such as the ones mentioned above; I have also started seeking out free help on youtube, (yes, youtube), where I found free hypnosis videos, audio & tons of material helping me develop modalities to cope with myself; Family support helps, if possible; but you can beat this, if you make a commitment to getting better!

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
Out_sider

Please get a second opinion regarding a diagnosis of Adult ADHD. These symptoms are all classic for the disorder in adults. It can make all the difference.

Pat Quinn, MD

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.