Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ADHD and Risperidone 5mg
An_246298 posted:
My son was diagnosed several years ago by a psycologist with ADHD and some ODD. His ped put him on Ritalin which was a nightmare, she now has him on Concerta. Concerned over that concerta had run its course but the ped just wanted to increase the does for a 5th time I took him to see another psycologist who basically dismissed the ADHD diagnosis and said my son's condition was more of a Conduct Disorder. (Background - Son has always been very hyper from Birth always moving literally until he fell asleep, very inattentive, impulsive and agressive. Agression worsen with the down side of med. He is now 14 years old and had the worse school year academically he has ever had and lots of behavior problems stemming from Agression and inability to "think first") He was up and down on the Concerta - pretending to take at times as the medication makes him feel down and he is very athletic. My concern is a about risperdione. The information I'm finding is very scary about the side effects. Let me also say I've had my son on vacation from Concerta since school closed on June 15th. He is of course very Hyper but his participation in sports helps him burn off energy. His agression even seems better, he is not snapping at me or anyone...This works fine for us in the summer because it is less struture and he is not confined to a classroom for hours having to concentrate on the lessons in class. i haven't started him using the Risperdione yet becasue I just can't find any information on how it helps kids with ADHD it seems its more for Bipolar or Schieprenia (sp). Anyone can offer advice?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there!

I can understand your concern - you might want to check this link to WebMD Drugs & Medication information:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/

In addition to medication information, there are user reviews - you might find some who have been successful using the medication for ADHD. And, as always, be sure to seek a 2nd opinion if you would like more information or an alternative treatment plan.

You might find this article interesting too:
ADHD Drug Holidays: Should Your Kid Get One?
Experts debate the pros and cons of giving kids a break from ADHD drugs.

I'm sorry I don't have first hand advice but hope those who do chime in!

Haylen

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.