Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
40mg Adderall not working?
SFGiantsgirl posted:
My doctor mostly prescribed it for depression/bipolar mild add to give me more energy would Ritalin be better? I have only been on Adderall for a few months.

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
Dear Giants Girl

I suggest that you see a psychiatrist with expertise in treating ADHD and bipolar disorder. Do you have a diagnosis of ADHD or just bipolar or both? In either case, stimulants should not be prescribed for those with bipolar disorder (BPD) unless they have been placed on a mood stabilizer first, as stimulants can precipitate psychosis or mania in untreated BPD patients. Stimulants are not the treatment for either depression or bipolar disorder alone.

Pat Quinn, MD

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Focus on what is fixable
I'm a 41 yo mom of 4. When I feel like I can't get it all together with my house, I seek help of a caregiver who lives to organize instead ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.