Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Online Treatment?
mrtechie posted:
Hi,
Until recently I was prescribed Adderall for ADHD. I had been taking it for 3 years and all was fine. A few months ago I decided to work as a contractor, because my job wasn't offering any room for improvement and I could receive better pay as a freelancer. I received a notice about COBRA, but decided it was too expensive. I figured a holistic approach to my problem might be worth a try, because a doctor, minus insurance was also too much (it would have to be on a monthly basis, $100 per visit including meds). Fast forward several months and I've been experiencing the same symptoms that caused me to consult a physician in the first place. I think I know the answer, but I'm going to ask anyway - Is there a way, because of my history, that I could continue medication without direct consultation with a doctor? It's effecting my performance at work and I find my personal life is becoming more and more of an issue as well. If not, is there any tips or home remedies of any sort that someone could offer? Diet and exercise only get me so far. Initially it was helpful and I don't know why it just stopped but it did. Any info to either of my questions would be helpful.

Thank you,
Matt

ADHDBill responded:
Because Adderall is a class C medication, you will need monthly written prescriptions. You may find it more ecomical to obtain these from an internist or family doctor rather than a psychiatrist. A sympathetic family doc might be willing to write renewal prescriptions without an office visit, since this is a medication you need regularly. Generic Adderall is much cheaper than the time-released formulation Adderall XR.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.