Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Can you get prescribed ADD medication if you are under 18 without parental consent?
    julia122412 posted:
    I honestly think that I may had ADD and I would like to get tested for it. However, my parents are very against taking medication unless absolutely necessary (usually neccesary rules out all pain medications and just antibiodics). Plus, I think they would probably think I wanted to abuse it in some way. How would I go about seeing a psychiatrist for this? Is it even legal? I am 17 by the way.
    mrtechie responded:
    Parents know best. Medication isn't a proven remedy for ADD, if you even have ADD. You will need a psych evaluation, proof of any problems in school including report cards and behavioral issues. And I'm pretty sure your parents need to be present in order to receive any sort of medication, especially a stimulant. They can be harmful if used incorrectly, even fatal. Talk with your doctor.

    Featuring Experts

    My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

    Helpful Tips

    Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
    Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 11 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.