Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Concerta 27mg
Concernedmamaof2girls posted:
I was wondering if anyone had young children that or have taken Concerta and if it helped them... My girls started out on 18mg and just moved up to 27mg. They 18mg was like they were not on nothing at all! I am hoping this is going to help them.....They have ADHD and ODD and are ages 6 and 9.

ronbogirl responded:
My 9 year old son was on floclan 10mg morning and 5 in afternoon at lunch. we went Concerta 27 and love it he says it last all day and he doesnt get that up,down up again feeling. ask your children how they feel. When my sons doctor ask me if the meds are working I look at my son and say WELL? tell her!! he just had problems with focus and not behavior, so i cant tell if it is helping him or not so i suggest talk to your kids!!
also I was one of these moms that said "hell no my kid will never take those kinds of meds" well after seeing with my own eyes the improvements in school, mood and grades....I had to eat those words, Good Luck!!

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
When undergoing a trial to optimize the dose of stimulant medication, it is important to select certain target behaviors and rate improvement of these behaviors weekly. Standard rating scales can be used or you can list three or four specific symptoms for each child that should be responsive to medication effects and rate these on a scale of 0 (no improvement) to 4 (very much improved). Ask your daughters' teachers to do the same. In this way you will have some objective measures to see if the medication is effective.

For methylphenidate (the stimulant in Concerta) it was found that preschool children needed higher doses to control symptoms. For children 7 to 12 years doses of 36mg up to 54 mg were found to be necessary for effective reduction of symptoms in the majority of children.

Past research has also found that children with ODD, may need higher doses of stimulants than children without this coexisting condition.

Each child is unique and therefore dosing may differ. That's why it is important to monitor each child's progress and side effects. One size (dose) does not fit all!

Dr. Pat Quinn

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 7 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.