Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Helping my ADHD son do well in high school?
    butterflygarden posted:
    My 14-year-old son was diagnosed with ADHD over the summer. We've known something was up for a while, but once puberty set in his lack of attention got so much worse, and his grades were plummeting.

    He just started high school last week, and I am so worried that we'll fall back into the same old routine as last year and always be scrambling to help him catch up. He tells me he wants to succeed, but he gets discouraged so easily.

    He's on Focalin, and it seems to be helping.

    Any other tips or pointers I can use to keep him organized and focused and on the road to success?

    momuv4girls responded:

    Have you looked into a 504 plan for him? That could be super helpful with limiting the amount of homework and help him to succeed and gain confidence.

    Is your son under medication management with an adolescent psychiatrist?

    I will paste a few links for you to explore also - I hope they will be of some help.

    Take care Butterfly!
    butterflygarden replied to momuv4girls's response:
    Thanks, Kathleen!

    He is under the care of a pediatric psychologist, who is working with his pediatrician to regulate the medication. So far the low dose of Focalin seems to be helping quite a bit.

    I haven't sat down with his counselor at school yet, but I am hoping to do that next week.

    Thanks so much for the resources!

    momuv4girls replied to butterflygarden's response:
    You're welcome - good luck with the meeting next week, I hope the school is open to your concerns and accommodating!!


    Featuring Experts

    My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

    Helpful Tips

    Great Discussion! More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.