Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Support for my 10 year old niece with ADHD
mzzannie posted:
Hello there,
I am a 100% involved with my niece who was diagnosed with ADHD a Ffew years ago. At first I was, I guess in denial just thought she was just being a kid. She lives with my mother who has permanent guardianship, both of her parents unfortunately do not have a very active row in her life. They come and go as they want and are not involved with her school or health. My mother, step father and I have been her parental unit for majority of her life. It was my mother who saught out help for my niece. Calista (my niece) struggles every day with just the fact that her parents are not around and now she has to deal with her body changing. I have gone to seminars with my mom and visited with Calista's therapist,read books, magazines, and internet sites, and spend a great amount of time with her talking and just being there for her. I have to admit it is hard for myself to deal with her ups and downs, her struggles with homework and other activities. She does not like the way her medication makes her feel (Concerta) and her parents keep telling her she doesnt need anything because there's nothing wrong with her. I know she is having trouble now as she's getting older I can tell when sh e does not take her meds because it reflects in her school work and her attitude to all of us in the household.
As much as I read up on, seminars I go to, and/or people I talk to it just doesnt seem enough to help her. So I was wondering are there support groups for children with ADHD/ADD? I feel that if she talks to someone her age she may not feel alone. I fear she gets depressed and i don't want her to feel alone or make decisions that will cause her pain. Advise would be much appreciated and what I can do to help her with this would be much appreciated.
Thank you

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Very simple..
I am almost thirty and still struggling every day.. In my line of work Life and safety are at risk when I zone out. Recently, I have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.