Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Recommended Foods to Maintain Weight for ADHD medicated kids
socialworker18 posted:
Looking for "healthy diet" to maintain acceptable weight for 11 year old on ADHD meds ...when he drops below mean weight, his doctor reduces his medication, which makes it harder for him to focus, control self in classroom.

gardensparrow responded:
Hi there~
Just caught your post and wondered if your doctor had any suggestions for maintaining this young boy's weight? Usually they can provide healthy eating plans for kids. I think there's also a lot of good books out there on this topic. For instance, it might be worth looking into The No Gimmick Guide to Raising Fit Kids or the Busy Mom's Guide to Family Nutrition. I've come across them while at Focus on the Family and they seem to have some good suggestions on keeping kids at a healthy weight. This article might also give you some general guidance: http://bit.ly/ObxnNy . So, just some material to check if you have a second. Hope it helps!

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
In my practice, I encountered this same problem with many patients. First, I suggest that you always make it a point to offer a large breakfast before the medication has taken effect. This might include whole wheat waffles, eggs, fruit and/or cereal. Don't forget other foods like left over chicken legs from dinner the night before, mac and cheese, or hard cheese on a bagel.

Next, I have the child and parents come up with a list of prefered (and nutricious) foods that he or she was allowed to eat whenever he or she is hungry. These might include nuts, yogurt, bagels, peanut butter on apples, etc.

Sometimes you'll need to shift meatimes around to allow the child to eat when he or she was hungry, For example, pasta with cheese at 3 pm with another small meal at 7. As lunchtime is usually the most difficult I recommend that the child must eat something (usually a preferred food) at that time.

Be sure to know how many calories a day your child needs each day and make sure that he gets that amount. If he does he will not loose weight. If he does not get enough calories, I suggest that my patients add a shake or smoothie once each day. You can start with the nutritional supplement drink Ensure and add fruit or ice cream to make it more palatable. In extreme cases Ensure Plus gives over 1000 extra calories if needed.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

love @business@home@marriage@inter caste@vashikaran@problem solution baba ji +91-9815934087
@india best astrologer +91-9815934087 1. Business related problems.2. Husband and wife relationship.3. Be free from enemy / 2nd wife 4. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.