Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ADHD
An_247614 posted:
I think I may have ADHD, but I do not want to be put on medication that will make me feel like a zombie. Are there any recommended medications?

Stevej77 responded:
First off, you should have an evaluation done to see if you do have ADHD. You certainly don't want to be treated for something youbdo not have! If you are diagnosed with ADHD, and are considered a good candidate for a trial of medication, you should not have to worry about feeling like a zombie . If the medication is treating your symptoms, you should notice that you are functioning better, not worse. Improved ability to concentrate on what is important, rather than what is most interesting, being able to stop and think more consistantly before responding, and being more comfortable in situations that demand being still and silent should be what you notice. More clarity of thought an an improved ability to stay on task over time should also be what you experience if you are on the right medication at the right dose. With the most commonly used medications for ADHD, you will likely experience what I described above, or no changes at all. While some people will experience side effects to some medications, usually it is appetite suppression, or not feeling as hungry, especially mid-day, not feeling zombified. Side effects, if they occur, can usually be managed by changing doses, timing of doses, or trying a different medication. Often, they gonaway on their own after a couple weeks. Having a clinician follow up with you when on a trial of a medication is very helpful in making sure it is helping you the way you want, suggesting adjustments, and managing any side effects. In addition, they should also be able to help you to learn behavioral stratagies and shifting the ways that you approach problem solving to ways that work best for you. Good luck!

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 7 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.