Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Risks of Intermittent Low Doses of Adderall?
An_247765 posted:
I am 23 years old, currently wrapping up my last semester at university. Never before this year had I considered that ADHD could be a part of my life. Admittedly, I always tied a negative connotation to the concept of ADHD, even at a young age. I can't tell you how many times I have been in a social setting where I met someone new and they ask my friends, half jokingly, if I am "on something". I never took it seriously, I am just super hyper, that was until a friend who had ADHD gave me one of his pills. I know, horrible to admit! But I think it is important for someone who is answering my question to know that never experienced with drugs, in fact the worst drug related thing I have ever done is smoke and that is limited to 4 uneventful and boring experiences. The offerring of adderall followed my denial to smoke, I took the pill, researched it furiously, and dedicated an entire Sunday to try the pill. My reaction? Nothing, I just felt a little less hyper and had a little bit of cotton mouth. The person who gave it to me told me he wasn't surprised due to that fact that I act like a spazz in the first place.

This all occurred roughly a year ago. I took my "dealers" comment to heart and started researching and eventually I started talking to therapists and counselors. The more I learned the more it became apparent that not everyone takes x amount of hours to read 25 pages of a text book like me. I noticed things that never really struck me as odd, like having 6 jobs in over a 2 year period or never being able to finish my knitting or master a song on my piano!
I was given the choice to treat my ADHD through medication a few months ago and I denied, I wanted to think on it really. My boyfriend wont hear a word of it because it can't be diagnosed and I still feel slight shame bringing the subject up to my parents attention. So I kept it to myself and found out as much as I could about prescriptions.

Finally, I said yes... I have only been taking Adderall for 4 weeks now. The first 2 weeks I was prescribed one 5mg pill a day, however the dosage didn't seem to influence me at all so my prescription was bumped up to 10 mg twice daily. I decided to just try 10mg just once a day and the reaction was almost unnoticeable but undeniably it was there. I could read without my mind buzzing and I could sit and have a conversation without intruding or bouncing around, my friend even told me this weekend that I have become more dependable, less flakey when it comes to making and keeping plans.

All of this has been an eye opening experience because I don't honestly believe I thought Adderall would help me. Besides, I love myself and look how far I have made it?

Above I stated that I am currently choosing to take 10mg once a day (and experiencing no side effects like heart rate increase or cotton mouth or sleeplessness etc), and I am only taking the medication on days that I feel I would benefit from it, which averages 3-4 days out of the week. I have been consciously attempting to make Wed, and Fri-Sun my days off because I am scared of the abuse potential. Not only that, I don't want to create a tolerance and have to bump up my prescription to an addictive amount.

Is there any way I can avoid the terrifying reality of this drug? I want more input than just my doctors.
Will low doses, kept at a low frequency be able to help me?
Should I also plan to take multiple weeks off of the drug in intervals to keep myself aware of how Adderall makes me feel and who I still am?
I already keep track of the habits I've picked up while working with Adderall in my system, and I actively try to incorporate them into my work when I am off the drug so I can increase natural productivity and focus.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Very simple..
I am almost thirty and still struggling every day.. In my line of work Life and safety are at risk when I zone out. Recently, I have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.