Skip to content
Some advice on my 4 year old
An_247842 posted:
Hello all,

I have a question about something my 4 year old daughter told me about her feelings. She is very active and has ALOT of energy, and I always thought it was her just being a 4 year old, but now I am thinking differently. Tonight she was in a very whiney mood. Whining and crying about absolutely nothing. She explains to me what is wrong by telling me that her thoughts are mixed up in her mind. She says there are a million things in her mind and they all mix together, and then she can't think about anything. Then she tells me when that happens she gets sadder and sadder. I figure she is getting frustrated because she can't sort her thoughts and her only way of dealing is to cry? Could this be ADD, ADHD or some other psychological problem, or is this normal of a 4 yr old? She is a very smart girl so she could give me a pretty good description of how she felt. I am also going to ask her doctor at her next appointment in Oct, but I didn't know if this sounded familiar to anyone. Or if there is any advice you could give me.

momuv4girls responded:
There is a big picture to look at when it comes to young ones and mental health................

Does the child sleep well at night?
When at the napping age, did she nap?

How is her over-all behavior? Is she typically happy? Does she listen to directions? (time to put your pajamas on, or go get me your books...etc..)

What do other adults/teachers say about her behavior?
Do you perceive her activity level to be extreme?

Is there a family history (her Mom or Dad's side) of mental illness / anxiety / depression? ... etc....

These are just a few examples of things to consider.....

Your daughter does sound bright, and able to talk about her confusing thoughts is great.
If I were you, I would do some more reading, and think hard about her history and behaviors that concern you.

Here are a few good links to explore and read:

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/facts_for_families

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/child-and-adolescent-mental-health/index.shtml

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/where_to_find_help_for_your_child

I hope some of this helps?
Take care !!
-Kathleen

MnJmom replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you so much. These are some great things to consider, and the links are great!

MnJmom replied to momuv4girls's response:
Sorry. It posted by itself somehow. One thing that did worry me is that there is a history of mental illness on her dad's side and depression on both sides of the family. She also talks a lot. She will talk and talk about everything and anything! Aside from her crying and whining spells her behavior is good. Her teachers and other adults she is around says she is a perfect angel, so I don;t know. I am going to do some more research and talk to her doctor to see what he thinks. Thank you for the advice!

momuv4girls replied to MnJmom's response:
You are very welcome, its always good to trust your instincts and learn about things. Being a pro-active mom will help your daughter in the long run !

Take good care, and write back anytime
-Kathleen

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Focus on what is fixable
I'm a 41 yo mom of 4. When I feel like I can't get it all together with my house, I seek help of a caregiver who lives to organize instead ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.