Skip to content
Bringing up ADD as a possibility...
An_247865 posted:
I am currently working as a full-time nanny for a family with 2 8-year old boys and a 16 month old girl. I've been with them for over a year now, and I am 99% positive that the boys both have ADHD. I was diagnosed with ADHD a couple of years ago, and since then have done everything possible to educate myself on the disorder. I am a psychology student so between that background and the extensive reading and research I have done, I really believe that these boys both suffer from the disorder and would benefit greatly from some counseling interventions and possibly medication (at least for the one who is definitely hyperactive and having troubles in school because of it).

The thing is I am not sure of their parents feelings on the subject. I know there are still people out there who don't believe ADHD is a true illness, and even without that issue, finding out your child has any kind of illness can be difficult to deal with. I really feel in my heart that this family would benefit immensely if they looked into this issue, but I just have no idea how to go about bringing it up.

Has anyone been in this situation either as a parent or a caregiver or any other variation on the case? I just want to find a way to suggest that they get the kids tested or look into it, obviously I am in no position to simply tell them that their kids have ADHD.

dianeMA responded:
hi! well i'm not a caregiver/certainly not a parent but may i suggest you start sharing your symptoms and how you got diagnosed and somewhere along the conversation i'm pretty sure they are going to ask you why are you telling them these things and that's going to be your hint to tell them that some of symptoms are visible with their children, it woudn't hurt if they would take a look into it,especially for the fact that ADHD cannot be treated but is managable with some help.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.