Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Medication Advice Please
BethInAlaska posted:
My seven year old son is having difficulties managing his behavior in the afternoons at school. He is usually unmedicated (Except for caffeine), because we've not had great luck with meds we have tried, however, we are feeling that if he is really trying to be good and failing, we need to try some different meds.

So today I am going to the doctor, and I am going to ask for the med I wish to try. I'm hoping you can help me decide what med that is.

My son has tried intuniv (the two weeks of exhausted, limp,zombie boy were unacceptable to us), Strattera (made him bitchy) and Ritalin (doesnt' seem to do anything). We've also tried caffeine which he BELIEVES works, but of course, I have no evidence to support his belief and adding caffeine to his lunch did not change his afternoon wildness.

I have many many friends who had great luck with concerta with their kids, but because ritalin doesn't seem to do anything to ben, I'm hesitant to try it, even though many many people urge me to.

I'm also hearing good things about vyvanse and I am considering asking the doctor for a script to try - at least its a DIFFERENT drug than things we've tried previously.

If it was your kid what would you ask the doctor for? did anyone have a kid for whom ritalin did not help but one of these other drugs did?

Your advice welcome.

An_248323 responded:
My daughter is 11 and diagnosed with adhd in 2nd grade. We were on Focalin XR with a follow up evening pill with immediate release which worked until she was about 10. Then we switched her over to Concerta which seems to work great. The only problem we had was that she was very impulsive both in action and verbally. I spoke to my doctor and he suggested that we try Tenex. It is great. She takes one pill in the morning and another when she gets home from school and they help her to slow down her thinking which helps her to choose better actions. I have metioned this to a friend of mine with a son in your similar situation and it worked for her too. Hope you find something that works for you as it is great to have your kids feel good and be good and enjoy life.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.