Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ticks developed after taking ADHD Medications
Motherof3littleones posted:
I have an 8 year old son that has been on multiple different medications for his ADHD. He started out on Ritilin and immediately developed a tick. He was blinking constantly. He was switched to Adderol and the blinking slowed but he developed another one. He would open his mouth as far as he could like he was trying to stretch his jaw out. He was switched to Clonidine and the ticks were still there. The dr had me take him off all of the medications during the summer so we knew they were all out of his system. All summer long the blinking continued. About a month before school started we started him on Focalin and it seemed to really help acedemically but the blinking got worse. He is now on Intuniv and the jaw thing has come back. Last year he went from barely passing the 2nd grade to getting straight A's. The medicine is helping him socially and acedemically but I am getting worried that there might be some underlying problem because the ticks have never gone away.

daltond52 responded:
I don't know how much this will help you but i've had ADHD ever since I was about 8 years old ( I'm 20 now ) and I used to have similar ticks that I believe were caused by the ADHD medicine. I would blink rapidly and then some days I would slap the bottom of my right foot when I walked. I got off all medication for an entire summer and the ticks wore off a little but were still there. After starting school again midway through I stopped taking the medicine again and after some months the ticks went away. Although my grades were terrible and I was getting in more trouble than usual the ticks were gone. I started taking adderall again when I was a junior in high school and the symptoms were all different and no ticks. I'm no doctor but for it seemed as if I didn't have ticks again because of my age. And maybe it will be the same for your son. Hope this helps.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

ADHD - Healing the Myth
Hi, This is a great video about the cause and natural solutions for ADHD that some very wise doctors are tuned into. You can view at ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.