Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
9-year old daughter with ADD
An_247972 posted:
My 9-year old daughter is being diagnosed with ADD-inattentive type only. I'm looking for advice before the doctor's appointment regarding what questions to ask and what type of medication she should start with. I realize that is the doctor's job, but I would like to hear from other parents who might recommend or not recommend any particular medications and any behavior modifications anyone has tried that worked would be great too!

An_248049 responded:
Hi, my mother, younger brother and sister have all been diagnosed with ADD, and I with ADHD. My younger brother was put on Vyvance and it seemed to be doing well for him with school until he confessed to having suicidal thoughts, so for obvious reason I wouldn't recommend it. We had his medication changed to Concerta and he has been on it for about two years with no problems, my younger sister was also put on it at the start of school this year.
My mother and I are both on adderall, (she for 4 years and I for 12 years) and the most prominent effect that it has had on us is mood swings. It did cause me to lose weight but this eventually became less of an issue as my weight evened out after a few months. As of recently I have been having problems with the effectiveness of the drug as well as experiencing insomnia lasting up to 4 days at least once a month, but i have been on the drug for quite a while and have never experienced that before now. The benefits of it greatly outweigh the detriments though!

I hope this helps!

fastdogs responded:
hi, my 9 year old son's teachers were pressuring me to get him checked for his lack of focus in class. I recently took him to one of the GP doctors recommended because his appointments are almost totally kids with ADHD. I took along my son's stanford test results, as well as a few report cards with the teacher's comments, and a school hearing and eye exam results.
The doctor told me that in all the seminars he's attended, the general consensus was there's really no definite way to tell if a kid has ADD unless you do a trial with medication and see if it works. He prescribed adderol 10 mg once a day for 30 days, then re-evaluate. I was shocked to go straight to medicating. My son has great behavior, no problems at home. His only problem is focus at achool, and I also see it when getting him to do homework- it takes him at least twice as long as most kids. He's quiet and shy, gets along with other kids and makes friends easily, and gets good grades. But lately the teacher never says anything good about him, his inability to pay attention overshadows everything. He continues to get good grades, but seems less enthusiastic about school (he's always loved it). I asked as many questions as I could think of, but was so taken aback by the immediate medicating route that I forgot some things I wish I'd asked. I wish I had written all my questions down, and thought ahead to questions I'd ask if medication was recommended.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 27 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.