Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
How To Tackle the Emotional LABILITY and SENSE OF BOREDOM that comes with ADHD??
An_247980 posted:
Hi Friends, i am a graduate medical student. i am one of those few rare species who was not diagnosed with ADHD in his childhood, thanks to my rather introvert nature and ignorance of my parents. i was a bright student from my childhood days, as suggested by my performances in the xams and sports activities. so nobody really bothered much. But as I grew up, I started to do things little diffrently from the studs of my age. my performance gradually worsened. thou i was good wid maths and science, the language portion was a bit too much for me, althou i cud score enough in it to pass, but it ws way below what i expected. and another grave problem ws making silly mistakes in maths, forgetting things at school, shifting too quickly betwen subjcts, etc.Though my teachers pointed out my probs to my parents,they wer least concernd of it and attributed my failures to my carelessness or idiocy. My teachers wud often wonder how can a stud who cudnt sit stil even for a minute in the classroom, score so high in the xams!! but even then i sensed there was som prob in me dats preventing me from scorin to my potential. but cudnt do anythn back den as i ws only a kid:-(
and even to deir disbelief i am studying what is deemed as the toughest course in the universe!! being a med student and being amongst such highly intelligent and attentive guys, i feel myself completely alienated due to my ADHD. The Profs, being doctors also fail to realize or rather ignore such students as me, for what they think is IDIOCY or INSINCERETY OR LACK OF INTEREST , etc. It really hurts when you are being neglected for not being able to memorize stuff due to the lack of concentration and hence the lesser duration of studies. please help me out so dat one day i too can bcom an xpert in this topic and help many more like me.

Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
Dear An_247980

Thanks for writing. First, I would suggest that you schedule a complete evaluation to establish the diagnosis of ADHD and rule out any learning or other issues. Your university should be able to make a local referral.

Next, I would seek proper treatment for your poor attention and memory in order to be able to continue your course of study and graduate.

Lastly, I would get a spelling and grammar checker or a friend who can edit your writing to help you present yourself in a more sophisticated manner when writing or texting. FYI, I needed to go over this response and make several corrections before sending it out to you, but you are worth it I wish you much success. You have been through a lot and are obviously very intelligent to get as far as you have.

Pat Quinn, MD

saddahaq replied to Patricia Quinn, MD's response:
Respected Madam,
First of all i am really obliged to recieve a reply from you. And also extremely sorry for the poor way of presentation in my post. I have consulted a psychiatrist recently. But going by my previous and the recent performances in the exam, he said that its only some kind of exam related tension that is causing such trouble and as such no medications were prescribed.
Another aspect I wanted 2 discuss with you is the fact that my memory is good if not the best. The only problem seems to be my attention. I often find myself distracted at the slightest of noises or other unimportant talks, not only while studying but also during my lecture classes.
So I request you to please suggest some remedies to counter this problem which has been a thorn in my quest to become a better and more responsible student.
Thank you.
I will be reallly indebted to you for your valuable suggestions:-)

Patricia Quinn, MD replied to saddahaq's response:
Saddahaq

Great job! I'm sorry the psychiatrist was not more helpful. Was he or she an expert in ADHD? From your first post, you reported that you have had problems with attention, distractibility, sitting still, careless mistakes, and disorganization (forgetting things) for many years. Thisdoes not look like just a problem with test anxiety.

Problems with attention can have many different causes. It is important to rule them out and make as accurate a diagnosis as possible. You also mentioned that while you were good in math and science that you had problems with the langauge portion of tests. Has a language based learning disability been ruled out?
While I can give you some suggestions for improving attention, please seek out an expert to address all of these above issues.

To improve attention while studying, you might find playing music or noise-cancelling headphones helpful. In addition, during lectures, make yourself an active listener/note-taker. Sit in the front of the class and look at the professor to maintain focus. You might also need to fidget to improve focus. There is a wonderful book on the topic, Fidget to Focus, by Roland Rotz and Sarah Wright that can offer you some excellent tips for acceptable "figits."

Don't give up until you find the help you deserve to ensure your success.

Pat Quinn, MD

saddahaq replied to Patricia Quinn, MD's response:
Respected madam,
I really take this opportunity to thank you once again for your invaluable suggestions. I tried all those 'tips' that you prescribed and it really worked. But the still unsolved problem lies with the duration of 'being attentive'. I am still distracted by so many unimportant events happening around me, once i am out the class. Ma'am,another important aspect of my disease is that i am too talkative. Dont know if this really has something to do with hyperreactivity??
Ma'am, fidgeting comes naturally to me:) but the real problem arises because most of my teachers think that I am not paying attention. In fact I have been punished and scolded for moving my hands and body while demonstrating an answer, while the act was totally involuntary.
I sincerely ask for your kind advices on these matters.
Thanking you,

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Focus on what is fixable
I'm a 41 yo mom of 4. When I feel like I can't get it all together with my house, I seek help of a caregiver who lives to organize instead ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.