Skip to content
adhd in adult loved one, help!!!
adhdlovedone posted:
I am reaching out to the Web MD community for any possible help or guidance. The concern I have is that my significant other has had ADHD since childhood, but in adulthood it presents the problem that you can't take someone to seek therapy or care unless they want to go. She is very self aware most of the times, but at times the ADHD takes over and alters her behavior to the point she becomes hostile and says some really mean things. She's a pretty smart girl and I just want to see her smile more often instead of becoming so upset over sometimes trivial things. We both have discussed a preference to a non-medicinal approach because of the side effects or fear of her being out of it because of the meds. Can anyone recommend any strategies for coping withthe anger that sometimes accompanies the ADHD?
Leloralei responded:
I also would like to know the best way to handle a loved one. I know my husband would never take meds for his ADHD, in fact he hasn't been officially diagnosted, but when a friend mentioned ADD, it all fell into place. He also gets angry like your significant other. Does memory lose also come with this? I'm learning that in the past I reacted negatively but now I'm making an effort not to react emotionally.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.