Skip to content
Child with ADHD doesn't qualify for academic accommodations... help please!
strouse1982 posted:
My 11 year old was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 5. We did the medication route shortly there after & after not noticing improvement in 3 years & after failing 1st grade, I withdrew her from such that summer & started a positive behavior reward system.

She barely passed 1st grade the second time - medication free, but needless to say, still passed. 2nd grade started & everything started to repeat itself. Knowing she was 'getting' the material & was highly intelligent despite her teachers thoughts, I withdrew her & started homeschooling. We finished the year 6 weeks early with a B average.

Third grade came & we had moved, resulting in a change of school district, so after extreme criticism from her pediatrician about the potential lack of social skills, I entered her into school. She was extensively evaluated for an IEP & 504 plan, but was declined services. However, her new teacher, having a daughter with the same issues, carefully constructed her own plan on how to help my daughter. She finished the year with B's & C's. Needless to say, we moved out of that school district & into the 1st district we had originally dealt with this past summer.

So now she is in fourth grade & without an IEP in place, the teachers refuse to adapt any accommodations which would help her, yet they all tell me that she displays extreme intelligence during the few oral tests they have conducted & during classroom participation; however, she fails all of her written tests.

I honestly don't know where to go or what to do. I don't want to see her fail 4th grade. Do I consider homeschooling again? Is there some way I can get the teachers to 'legally' accommodate her without an IEP or 504 plan? Her teachers & I know that she comprehends the material & should be an A or B student, but yet she is failing all written tests.

mommyiam1 responded:
My daughter has had simialr issues. She never was held back; hhowever, she has been behind most of her academeic years. I did the research and we also moved to a new school and was successfiul in getting my daughter a 504. All we needed to get it was a diagnosis of ADHD. I am a true witch when it cvomes to my daughter ands her education. She is entitled an education like everyone else. Si she doesn't learn the same realistically neither does any of the other kids. He r brain is wired different and so she needs extra hepls. She is in 7th grade and has a special math class and gets extra help and we put in reduced assignments as needed for her to be successful. Keep ont he school. They can do a 504, but most educators don't like them. Oh well. Good luck Stay on them. and keep loving your daughter as all of us love ours.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.