Skip to content
Adderall XR
jhook posted:
Hello, a little over a year ago I was diagnosed with adhd. I was prescribed adderall XR 10mg. From the first day I've taken it it has made a huge difference in my life. Besides from being more organized and focused I've noticed that I'm a lot calmer and have less anxiety. The only thing that bothers me about it is that it makes me very sleepy. I recently tried 15mg XR to help improve my focus and I just wanted to sleep all the time. My pdoc said that stimulants can have that effect on people that are hyperactive my pharmacist says that it depends on the persons metabolism on whether they feel an increase in energy or tired from it. My question is has someone else experienced this and switched to another med. and found it to be less sedating.

Soccer_Nana responded:
Hello! I was diagnosed with ADD a couple years ago. I take Adderall XR. The funny thing about having ADD is that the medication is an amphetamine, but for the person with ADD, it works in reverse! I find that if I start doing what I need to do in the house, etc, after taking the medication , I can stay awake just fine. The problem is if I sit down to read or watch TV. I get sleepy then! Weird! But it does help me stay focused, even if I read, I sometimes "hyperfocus" and end up sticking with what I'm doing....for a long time! I think if you were to change medication, you may find that you have the same problem. It wouldn't hurt to try something else if you feel you need to. But it takes a while for each medication, when its started, to begin working. It could take up to a couple months to find out if a medication works. Good luck! This is only my personal opinion, but I would say "Go with your inner feelings" about switching medications. Have a good day!

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.